After months of album teasing, singer-songwriter and part-time angel FKA twigs has dropped her art and avant-pop LP in time for “capri sun season”.
This album is undeniably more accustomed to the masses than her past intricate work, yet it still encompasses the essence of twigs’ unique sound. From R&B to hip hop, trap, drum’n’bass and dancehall, Tahliah Barnett (twigs’ real name) has really included a handful of genres into one body of work.
Stand out tracks:
1. ride the dragon “do you really wanna kiss me”
2. honda Paired with Pa Salieu, honda utilises an intoxicating and magnetic beat and ends as strong as it begins.
3. meta angel twigs is an angel on this meta angel track. She alters her voice in at least three ways and experiments with the beats in the way that we know for the fka twigs trademark sound and her London accent can be heard
4. tears in the club The first single from the album, this collaboration with The Weeknd is a sheer delight lyrically, sonically and visually from twigs’ dancer past. Interesting fact that twigs was a back up dancer in Jessie J’s Do It like a Dude and Price Tag videos as well as for videos for Kylie Minogue, Ed Sheeran, Plan B, Taio Cruz, Dionne Bromfield and Wretch 32.
5. oh my love A self love track done well. The chorus chime of “everybody knows that I want your love – why you playing baby boy what’s up” in the latter part of the track is syncopated magic that makes you ironically grin from ear to ear. It’s reminiscent of the best friend and sister support vibe that all women know well. This is topped off by the closing pep talk to avoid those boys “trying to steal your youth” and a reminder that “these are your golden years so, have fun”!
6. pamplemousse I absolutely adored the blast of energy and sunshine into this track. Its got bucket loads of voguing energy – a song which you envision as short perfection.
8. lightbeamers “pretty and sad”
“did you give yourself away? don’t – don’t do it again”
9. papi bones A burst of reggae in a collaboration with Shygirl. It’s the perfect dance song asking for “a girl that can whine and dance”.
11. jealousy This is also a low key beat following papi bones and tenth track which way. It is the second single to be released from CAPRISONGS.
12. careless This is a true Daniel Caesar influenced R&B song – even though he was cancelled for some time he’s coming back through the woodworks. Let’s be honest, his voice was always a well-kept secret and greatest of all time, humbly so. The tail end and culmination of this track ties the bow on this sentimental and smooth track. How the two voices of twigs and Caesar merge is everything and more.
15. darjeeling With Jorja Smith and Unknown T. Its the sentimental lyrics of feeling alone in a city but finding a version of love, and making those memories of romance in east and south London that makes this track so special.
16. christi interlude A glimpse into twigs’ own astrology readings from an American woman, who must be Christi, narrating the penultimate track.
To top it all, FKA twigs is still appearing on the Spotify Ethereal playlist, which nicely sums up her experimental pop and intricate sound that describes her iconic factor best.